Thursday, March 23, 2000

The Archives: Nosey Bodies

I used to think I was too sensitive. I've outgrown that to some degree, as experience and maturity have taught me a few things. After all, emotional sensitivity can be altered. But there is one sensitive thing about myself that I can't change, and I think it runs in my family: my nose.

I'm not sensitive about my nose, no. But my sense of smell seems to be frighteningly strong sometimes. Now it may be that some people just wear way too much perfume, and offend everyone, not just me. But as an ex-smoker, I know what it's like to have very little sense of smell, and now I know what it's like to be at the other end of the spectrum.

I constantly smell baby poop.

I'm in the office and I smell it. In my car, the supermarket, the library... it's always there, this pervasive smell I can't escape from. My cousin is a police officer and he tells me that once you've caught a whiff of a DOA, it never goes away. It becomes a part of your brain, embeds itself into your nostrils. I thought "how terrible!" when he told me. Now I know what he means.

Don't get me wrong--changing dirty diapers is one of the many wonderful new experiences that I wouldn't have missed for the world. And I knew that one day, even though Jacob is the perfect child, his poops would begin to stink. I just didn't think this would be one of the ways he'd use to keep me thinking about him all day long.

The good news is that spring is in the air. Warm breezes and fresh flowers, sweetness and freshness are everywhere.

Thank goodness. Now I can open some windows.

No comments: