Thursday, March 2, 2000

The Archives: Order In The House

Jacob is just shy of three months old, and as I looked around my living room this morning, I let out a long sigh. Everywhere I turned, I saw evidence that we'd been invaded by an infant: books, stuffed animals, play mats, swings, bouncy seats and burp cloths have canvassed our home. Don't get me wrong. I'm the one who bought all this stuff to insure my baby was going to be properly stimulated, challenged, soothed and entertained. But I'm also a bit of a neatnik. How did all these wonderful intentions turn into such clutter?

I guess it's all part of the great challenge of finding a balance between the family we were before and the family we are now. When we were just two adults, life was simple. Eat for two, clean up for two. Now that there's a baby in the mix, it's eat for two-and-a-half, clean up for eleven. Going out requires more planning. Heck, taking a shower requires more planning.

Some things are simpler, though. The pleasures I experience. The things that make me smile. Knowing what really matters. If the complexity of navigating my living room has to increase so that the simplicity of achieving true happiness can increase, I guess that this neatnik will find a way to adjust. *Sigh* :)

No comments: