Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Jig Is Up

Although Inauguration Day was an awe-inspiring, much anticipated and monumental day for the world, it was a crappy day in my house. Not because of the new president, but because all afternoon, my children behaved like escaped zoo animals in search of raw meat. And all the while, I kept trying to get them to sit down and do homework.

Suffice it to say, I failed. Yelling didn't work. I was being ignored, and I knew I needed a new approach. But I just didn't have it in me to get creative.

By the time dinner was served, DS privileges and television viewing time had been revoked. Dessert had also been taken away for the night, but I decided to bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies anyway, for reasons including--but not limited to--the following:

--To give me something to do besides listen to them fight;

--To fill the house with yummy smells instead of noisy yells;

--So I'd have something to enjoy with my tea after everyone had gone to bed.

--To have desserts for the kids' lunches the next day.

After the cookies were done and cooling on racks, my sons ventured over to longingly stare, sniff and drool over them. Then my nine-year-old spoke.

"Mom, tomorrow can we have chocolate chip cookies for dessert in our lunches?"

"Well, we'll see how everyone behaves in the morning. That is why I baked them, after all."

And my son looked at me, raised one eyebrow and said, in a knowing voice,

"To torture us?"

Damn. They're on to me.

2 comments:

Snowbrush said...

Tell him that you just gave up caffeine, so he would do well to thank you that he and his siblings are still alive. Then again, maybe such thoughts on my part mean that it's better that you are a parent than I. Two dogs are enough of a challenge, thank you.

Michael said...

Love it! Truly, I laughed...